A power rack (power cage) is one of the most beneficial equipment you can have in your home gym. With the help of it you can do the most vital compound strength training exercises such as squat and deadlift. And if you have weight bench, then you can use it for bench press variations as well.
Yet, buying a quality power rack is not easy. They are rather expensive and, unfortunately, there are many low-quality products out there.
In this post, I would like to assist you to buy the best power rack rack for home that worth its price. You can find honest reviews, sales and a detailed buyer’s guide. Everything that will help you to pick a model that you can use for long years providing comfortable and safe workouts.
- 1 Top Power Cage Comparison Chart
- 2 Buyer's Guide
Top Power Cage Comparison Chart
| Valor Fitness BD-7
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
| Body-Solid Pro
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
| THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
| SUITABLE FOR WEIGHT LIFTERS
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
| Short Squat Cage
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
| Deltech Fitness Squat Rack
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
| Body-Solid Multi-Press Rack
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
| Marcy Power Rack and Bench
||CHECK ON AMAZON|
| PROVIDES THE MOST FUNCTIONS
Marcy Diamond Elite Smith Machine
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
Valor Fitness BD-7 Power Rack Review
Best Features & Benefits
- It comes with weight plate holders so you can save place at your home gym.
- It has chrome chin up and pull up bar that is vital for back workout.
- 17-position bar support.
- Low pulley station for efficient and safe rows.
- Recommended for commercial and home usage.
- Can be used up to 1000 lbs.
- A few people find it hard to assemble.
- A few people do not like lat pull-down station
Body-Solid Pro Power Cage Review
- It is wider than other power cages hence users have place to perform exercises inside the rack.
- It supports 20 adjustment levels, so everyone finds the right level.
- It can be used up to 800 lbs. It comes heavy duty 11-gauge steel frame.
- The bar catches instead of round are square providing safer usage.
- There are many attachments provided that can be bought separately to make it a complete strength training machine.
- Pull up bar included.
- It is a commercially rated rack so it can be used at gyms as well.
- The assembly is not easy though support and instruction are available.
- Its size is bigger than usual and heavy. That is why it is a commercial product and for pros.
PowerLine PPR200X Workout Rack Review
- The assembly is easy, but the box is heavy which is a good sign.
- It is stable even if larger weights are used.
- It is wide enough to have workouts comfortable, but not too much.
- Great price compared to other products with similar features.
- It is compatible with other attachments such as pull down, bench and so on made by the same manufacturer.
- It comes with two saber-style safety rods and two heat-tempered liftoffs.
- It can be used in 18 positions
- It has not got a dip stand.
- Useful extras should be bought separately.
- Made from high quality, thick steel and well welded so that it can be used up to 1000 lbs. People using it for many years say they have not experienced any real damage.
- It comes with a pull-up and chin-up bar. It also has dip bars that are adjustable, you can put them lower or higher and you can use a wider or closer grip.
- Its measurements are optimal for a home gym.
- You can purchase compatible extras.
- Easy to assemble.
- If the rack is empty heavier people or ones who uses weights for pull-ups or dips, say it wobbles a little bit.
- A few users think it should be a bit higher to have exercises more comfortably inside the rack.
Squat Cage for 6' Ceiling
The most vital feature about this short power rack is its 6-inch ceiling provision. It was designed to fit into a 6-inch ceiling height. This is the main reason the chin-up bar isn’t included in the front because it can cause a user to hit their head or walk into the bar while doing squats. As long as you have a basement or garage, the squat rack will fit perfectly. You can use this equipment to perform power rack exercises such as the military press, squats, shrugs, deadlifts, bench press as well as curls.
This incredible weight lifting rack has twenty-one holes placed 2 ¼ inches apart. This will help you to work out on different exercises. You can even do the heavy duty workouts since it has a 12 gauge heavy duty steel capacity. This enables the equipment to hold various varying weights while promoting the efficiency of different types of exercises.
- It has one-inch solid steel safety pins and J hooks
- A professionally knurled chinning bar is included on the back
- It weighs 120 pounds
- Its dimensions are 49 x 57 x 72 inches
According to numerous customer reports, this equipment is very effective regarding service delivery. Although people feel that the chins up bar would have been an impressive addition, they noted that equipment could be easily modified to serve the same purpose.
Its low height makes it possible to fit in most every room, even in those rooms that have low ceilings like the basement. It is very sturdy and can hold all the weight you care to use. Anyone in your family can use it. Others also mentioned that it is affordable compared to other models sold in the market today. Many have termed this product a great investment, a great deal and a high-quality home power rack.
- It fits into six-inch ceilings perfectly
- It is affordable
- It can be assembled easily
- Many home gyms find the equipment ideal
- Despite having the short height, it is versatile
- The 21 holes are advantageous despite its height
- It is very efficient and sturdy, so you don’t have to worry as you exercise
The assembling instructions provided are not clear and thorough. They lack illustrations for assembly. However, it is very easy for to figure out what you need to do. Consider starting with the base when assembling it. This helps you to ensure that it sits flat and in level with the ground. Tighten the bolts once you are sure it’s in level and then install the side and top bars.
Deltech Fitness Power / Squat Rack Review
Features & Benefits
- Sturdy and stable structure made from heavy gauge steel tubing.
- The weight catches can be placed inside or outside the rack. This way you can do more types fo exercises.
- It comes with a pull up and chin up bar.
- It can be used up 1000 lbs so it suitable for pros.
- It does not come with any extras.
- A few users complain about the shipping.
Body Solid Multi-Press Rack
The Multi-Press Rack is designed with a wide four-point stance, making it easy for you to work out. It also features a 7° reverse pitch to accommodate the natural lifting path of your body. The safety and lift off positions are always where you need them, so it’s always comfortable to rack the bar.
The rack is made with an extra heavy duty high tensile strength steel frame. All the frames are welded making it robust and durable. This means that your safety is taken care of as you exercise.
- Has a 14 position gun rack that can handle more than 1000 lbs giving you the ability to take the workout bar up and down and you won’t have to remove the plates
- Ideal for commercial and home use
- It has the height of 74” length of 45” and width of 64”
- Has four Olympic storage posts for suspending weight plates
- It comes with an in-home lifetime warranty
Although there are many squat stands in the market today, customers agree that this rack is perfect for a home gym. It has a moderately small footprint, so it will not take up much of your floor space. Its height will allow you to fit it even in a basement or garage. The rack is sturdy and does not wobble even when you are returning its bar hard with 300 lbs. The spot bars are also perfect and give you the chance to challenge yourself with confidence while training. Customers who have used it have stated that the equipment has helped them get the tone and lean body they have always desired. Customers like this equipment for these reasons.
- Has extra wide four-point stance for more workout space
- Its reverse pitch accommodates the body’s lifting path
- A user can do any type of muscle building, and power exercises like calf raises, squats, deadlifts, lunges, upright, rows including others
- It has an amazing capacity of 1000lbs in weights
- Even though the equipment is slightly expensive, the rack will offer you excellent value for the money. You will get a top-quality product that can withstand the test of frequent use and time.
The machine is heavy and not easy to set up because of the size. However, you can get at least one person to help you with the task and ensure you place it in a suitable position, so you don’t have to reposition it often.
Titan Power Rack Review
- It can be set to 28 positions.
- It has a chin up bar.
- The capacity is 700 lbs.
- Easy assembly.
- A few buyers complain about shipping and support.
- Capacity: 700 lbs - HD J-hooks included - 2"x2" Steel Uprights
- Chin up bar: 1 1/4" diameter- Weight holders for storage and increased stability
- Height of pull up bar: 80" - Weight: 107 lbs - Height: 83"
Marcy Power Rack and Bench
This equipment has an adjustable bench with solid seat cushions including multiple positions for incline and decline benching. Other power racks do not provide a seat, and you have to shop again if you need a bench press for the rack. The seat can go vertical fully, and that’s good if you want to do seated shoulder presses. If your back is high, the vertical position will keep the head aligned with your spine. This discourages any cheating on the overhead pressing. The bench also has three other adjustment positions that match with the back. It is detached from the rack, and you can remove it when doing rack pulls and squats.
Dip handles that hook into both sides of the uprights are included as an accessory. They are made using the same heavy –gauge steel used in making the rack and is coated in rubber. It is so powerful that it can hold a guy who weighs 200 lbs while he has strapped a 45 lbs weight around the waist as he exercises. You can also hook the bar inside the rack in case you are worried that you might fall when dipping.
- It weighs only 176 lbs
- It’s made of 14-gauge steel
- Has a height of 85ˮ, width of 45” and depth of 64”
- It can hold 600lbs
- The rack is painted using a durable power coat
- The hook holes and safety bars are 3.5 inches apart
- It has a 40-inch clearance from right to left and a 28 inch between the back and front uprights
Most people who have used this bench and squat rack agree that it is the best choice for everyone, including beginners. The 14 gauge steel used to make it offers the much-needed safety and security. Others also liked it because it is an all-in-one training station (suitable for benching and squatting with safety bars, decline and incline to the bench, pull ups and dips). Its study construction and 600lbs capacity also added to the versatility.
- It is made using a 14-gauge heavy-duty welded steel gauge frame making its strong and durable
- It allows you to target different parts of the body and muscle groups while working out
- Has a durable and adjustable bench
- Provides a user with a gym-quality training experience
The 3.5-inch spacing between the safety holes is more compared to other bench press racks. The most experienced lifter will find this okay, but it can be an issue for you if you are under or over the ideal pin setting. But if you are comfortable with it or you are ready to take on the challenge, just go for it.
How this home gym equipment can help you to get fit?
- With the help of it you can do many types of exercises, not just deadlifts and squats. Featured-rich items let you make bodyweight exercises such as pull ups, chin ups, dips, etc., and the best ones even come with a bench so you can make various bench presses. Hence, a rack can be an all in solution to train all muscles at home.
- You can do the exercises more safely. With the help of the adjustable pins that power cages come with, you can avoid injuries. If your cannot hold the weights or you are in a bad movement, you can put the barbell back quickly.
- Because of the safety you will be able to handle heavier weights since you are more confident. That leads to more efficient strength and muscle development. Just think about squat without a rack, it is really dangerous to use big weights. That is why it is suitable for those who want to do heavy weight lifting at home.
Watch why the power cage is the most important gym equipment.
It is even a perfect tool for doing bodyweight exercises
Are there any disadvantages?
- Before purchasing a rack, you should keep in mind that you will have to buy additional equipment such as a barbell and weight plates. However, you can find great deals and some racks come with all the required equipment.
- They are rather big so you will need quite a lot of space. Hence, it is important to check the specification of the item you want to buy.
- Rather expensive. Comparing to other strength training equipment racks are rather expensive, at least the quality ones. However, it is the most versatile pieces of home gym equipment recommended by fitness experts.
What to look for when buying one?
- Try to purchase one that comes with extra features such as bench, dip stand and pull up bar. You will be able to do more types of exercises and in most of the cases these racks are just a little bit more expensive.
- It must be sturdy and made from quality and durable materials. You will use heavy weights so the power cage must be stable and sturdy enough. I say the heavier the rack, the better. That means there is the material in it. The load capacity should be the minimum of 500 lbs but the more, the better. Avoid cheap, low-quality products!
- It should be high and width enough to perform the moves safely and comfortably. If you are taller than average, you need to buy one that is rather high.
- Look for sales. In the comparison chart above you can find quickly a power rack for sale.
- What about used ones? On the internet, you can certainly get used power racks but I recommend buying a new one. Why? If we compare the prices in most of the cases, the difference is just a bit. But a new one comes with the warranty, free shipping, and support.
Should I buy one?
f you can afford, have enough space and want to powerful strength training at home, then surely yes. You will not regret it. Believe me, it is going to be the most used equipment of your home gym.
Have you got any question? Need help?
Send a comment below! We will help you as soon as possible!
Did you like this guide and reviews to power racks? Share with your friends!
Last update on 2017-07-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API