In my opinion, adjustable dumbbells are among the most versatile small home gym equipment available today. It is a fact that dumbbells are extremely beneficial for weight training since we can do a lot of types of exercises to train each muscle group.
I purchased an set about two years ago, and I use them almost every day. To tell the truth, they were pretty pricey, but since that time the prices have gone down and cheaper models appeared.
However, I do not care about the price because I love using them. Before I bought my pair, I had sold my old single dumbbells and my rack, so I had almost all the money. Now I have more space in my home gym, and I can easily change the weight, so my workouts are more continuous.
EIn this post, I would like to help you to buy the best dumbbell set. Read the buyer’s guide and check the comparison of the best products.
Top Adjustable Dumbbells Comparison Chart
Below I have collected the best interchangeable weights based on customer reviews. The good news is that you can get big savings as some products are sold with great discounts!
best adjustable weights reviews
1. Bowflex Selecttech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells - The Best Buy
This product is undoubtedly the best seller and trustworthy set that is available today with thousands of positive customer reviews. The amount of weight can be decreased by 2.5 pounds, minimum is 5lbs and the maximum is 52.5 lbs. Therefore, it is a perfect solution for both men and women.
Bowflex adjustable dumbbells offer the widest variety of settings, they are sturdy and easy to use. They are definitely the best buy thanks to the easy to use dial weights system.
- No clanging metal weight plates for quite workout
- Quick weight adjustment, only takes 5 seconds.
- Unique dial system of the Bowflex free weights.
- Combines 15 set of hand weights into one.
- 2 years warranty
- 24 x 23 x 14 inches (113 pounds)
- A few complains about the customer service.
- Few users find them too big to use.
2. Nautilus Universal Power Pak with Stand
Universal Power-Pak is another popular select a weight dumbbells with a lot of positive buyer reviews . We can change the amount of weight by 4 lbs up to 45 lbs. What make sit a good choice is that it comes with stand which makes the usage and storage even more comfortable.
The customers like for its easy-to-use dialing system and its plate locking system that makes the usage fast and secure.
- Ergonomically designed stand
- Quick plate locking mechanism (selecttech weights)
- Non-slip grip made from durable thermoplastic rubber handle
- Easy weight change with the unique dial so you can easily switch form one exercise to the next
- Workout guide
- Weight options from 4 - 45 lbs
- 1 year warranty
- 17.5 x 25 x 25 inches (112 pounds)
- Some users think the plates are not tight enough
3. PowerBlock Adjustable Weight Set
Among the the adjustable weight dumbbells here, this is the "big boy" since it provides weight setting up to 70 pounds. This way it is a good solution for heavy lifters and bodybuilders. The increment is 5 pounds. It does not have a typical shape, but it is really comfortable to use.
We can easily change the weights by moving the selector pin lock and the storage is also simple. It is a really versatile piece of equipment for strength training, though it is a bit pricey.
Several versions of PowerBlock dumbbells is available and they are expandable.
- Weight range from 5-90 lbs. per hand
- Replaces 28 pairs or 2565 lbs. of free weights
- The plates are covered with rubber
- 10 years warranty
- 4"L x 6.25"W x 6"H
- Some shipping problems
4. Ironmaster 75 lb Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System
This is another well-rated equipment which provides better features even for hard core users. The maximum weight is 75 pound and the weight setting is 2.5 lbs.
The weight setting function is really simple because of the quick lock function. Besides it provides quit workouts because the plates lock up very tightly. I also have to mention that it comes with a really space efficient design. These weights are built to last.
- Quick-Lock design adjusts from 5-75 lbs in 2 1/2 lb increments
- Heavy duty construction with welded steel
- The system comes with two 75 lbs multi weight dumbbells and stand
- Great design - Space saving and compact.
- Lifetime warranty
- Exercise poster
- Nothing serious
5. XMark Adjustable Hand Weights
Are you searching for cheap adjustable dumbbells? Then this set with adjustable plate is for you. This product does not offer as many features as the others, but for a beginner it is a good choice.
We can purchase a pair or a single item, and choose between 25 lbs or 50 lbs. The basic set cost only around 160 bucks.
- Comes with storage trays
- Durable heavy duty chrome plated steel construction
- The weight increments is between 10-50 lbs
- 9 settings by 5 lbs
- Available a single item or in pair.
- 1 year warranty
- 19 x 11 x 11 inches
- Few users think it is a bit hard to change the amount of weight
- Few shipping problems
6. Bayou Fitness Adjustable Weight Dumbbell
Based on the customer reviews this is another all in one dumbbells that is worth to check. The users love it for its easy adjustment. Its price is quite affordable as well. It supports 9 settings from 5 to 50 pounds and comes with a storage try.
- Heavy-duty, chrome-plated metal plates
- Ideal for home gym or light institutional use
- Adjust the weight from 10 to 50 lbs
- 18 x 13 x 11 inches
- Single item can be bought
- A few shipping complains
- 10 pound increment
What Are the Benefits?
I prefer dumbbell exercises to barbell ones since more control is required to perform the moves, and these exercises are more natural for joints and muscles. Obviously, that leads to safer workout and better muscle stimulation.
- The main reason people love working out with them is that they can quickly change to the desired weight by using a simple pin or other locking system. If you use traditional fitness dumbbells, you need to change the plates whenever you want to increase or decrease the resistance. And if you have non-adjustable equipment, you will need a lot of single pieces of free weights to work out efficiently (that costs a lot of money, and they need a lot of space.)
- With a pair of dumbbells, you can train your entire body at home. You do not need to buy other weight machines (however an adjustable weight bench is recommended). For example, you want to strengthen your arms and legs. You can do some sets of biceps curls, then overhead triceps extensions and finish with goblet squats or reverse lunges. And all you need is just one piece of equipment. Exercising with free weights also support your weight loss.
- Build strength and muscle mass. Most of the bodybuilders prefer using free weights rather than machines because they are better for muscle development. The reason is that to handle the weight and keep the proper form of the movement other stabilizing muscles are engaged. If you have ever tried doing dumbbell bench presses, instead of barbell ones, you know what I’m talking about.
- Great space-safer! If you have traditional hand weights, you know how much space they need. And if you are lazy like me you can find yourself surrounded by dumbbells. They come with a stand, so you can hide them even in the corner of your room or gym.
- Finally, save a lot. If you are a beginner, and you have not got any equipment yet, you may have thought about buying a home gym. The problem is that the best quality models are almost $1000. A pair of changeable dumbbells cost far less than that. Not to mention the high gym membership prices these days. And yes, you can buy single items separately, but just add up how much will they cost you at the end.
Things to consider
- Check out the increment. Most of the products provide 5 lbs increment which is OK for men. However, women may find that too much, in that case pick one which lets 2.5 lbs such as Bowflex.
- Always read what buyers think about the item. Avoid those which are said to be unsafe because of moving parts such as metal discs.
- If they complain about hard switching between plates, do not buy that product either since the usage will be pain in the ass.
- Check the features and extras. For example, some sets come with a stand which makes the usage even more comfortable. For the same price you can get the same quality product, but with extras.
- Avoid low-quality products with a lot of negative reviews. You will handle free weights, and your safety is the first. Plus, you can save yourself a lot of time and energy because of sending the item back.
- The best place to buy the items above is Amazon at the moment, there are exceptional deals to save a lot of money. In addition, in most of the cases the shipping is free, and you will get the product in 1-2 days. You can also read a lot of dumbbells reviews from real customers.
What Kind of Exercises Can You Do With Them?
You can use the variable weight dumbbells as if they were normal ones. This way they let you do a lot of activities to work your entire body. Here are just a few examples.
Why are they so expensive?
Yes, they are not the cheapest pieces of exercise equipment. However, if you think about how versatile they are and how many ordinary dumbbells they substitute, then the price is not as high as it seems. Plus, you can save a lot of space. Amazon usually provides the best price, so you can save many dollars.
How safe are adjustable dumbbells?
Within the comparison above I gave review only about those models that come with a lot of positive reviews, and customers do not complain about unsafe usage. Also, these products are on the market for a few years now and comes with at least one year of warranty and support. Hence, you can send them back if you do not like using them.
Which is the best one for women?
All the products above, but if you need lighter equipment check out Proform adjustable weights here. These cheap dumbbell sets are made for women.
I'm a pro. Are their heavier weights?
Sure. Here is Yes4All adjustable home dumbbell set (100lbs X 2pc), so perfect for heavy lifters.
Related: Best home exercise equipment review
Did you find the best adjustable dumbbell set for you? Share this guide with your friends.
Last update on 2020-10-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API