Sit up benches are among those beneficial abdominal exercise equipment that can help you a lot to strengthen your core muscles at home. While there are several exercises for abs you can do without equipment, a bench can increase the efficiency of your workouts drastically.
The best sit up benches are adjustable which means you can set the angle of the board. This way you can increase or decrease the resistance for your needs. Beginners can adjust it to a lower angle so the exercise will be easier. Hardcore trainers can set the angle higher so resistance will be far harder.
Top Decline Ab Bench Comparison Chart
Below you can find a quick comparison of the best sit up benches and under chart you can find the detailed reviews, our ratings and other tips.
1. FITNESS REALITY X-CLASS MULTI-WORKOUT BENCH
best Multi Workout bench for Home Gym
2. XMARK XM-4416 AB BOARD
The Best Ab Bench / Suitable for Tall People
3. UNIVERSAL UB100 DECLINE BENCH
4. XMARK MINI AB BENCH
The Most Compact
5. BODY-SOLID COMMERCIAL AB BOARD
6. STAMINA PRO AB/HYPER BENCH
Top Pick for Women
7. FABFIT CURVED SIT UP BENCH
8. XMARK XM-7608 WHITE
9. TKO SIT-UP BENCH
10. VALOR FITNESS DECLINE/FLAT BENCH
High Capacity Adjustable Weight Bench as Well
When do you need one?
Decline Sit up bench reviews
1. Fitness Reality X-Class Light Commercial Multi-Workout Bench - The Best Workout Bench in 2018
This bench will help you add both lower and upper body exercises to your workout regimen, allowing you to build muscles with lower back extensions, abdominal crunches, single dumbbell rows, knee raises, preacher curls, lower back exercises, and so much more!
You are also able to include flat and decline abdominal crunches. It allows you to target the upper, lower and middle chest muscles with the multiple bench dumbbell exercises that can be done on it.
It has transportation wheels which make it easy to move around the house if need be. This makes it possible to use it in a certain spot in the house and store it in a different spot
- 2.5-inch thick foam bench with a moisture and sweat resistant vinyl cover that is double stitched.
- Measures 36 x 8-12 inches and is tapered
- 650-pound real weight capacity, height range of 5 feet to 6’4”
- 2 x 2-inch steel frame with a 45 degree back extension angle
- The push-up and dip handle bars are soft, slip-resistant, and are 1.5 inches in diameter
- 4-inch thick roller pads which allow 2 roller pad adjustment levels for multiple users of different heights
- The bench has a 7-level adjustable backrest and the bench seat has four adjustments
- Detachable leg lockdown for sit-ups and crunches.
- Split 2-inch thigh support cushions with 14 height.
- The bench has one flat and 3 decline adjustments and a 2.5-inch medium density foam which guarantees increased comfort.
- U-shaped stabilizer bar which reduces movement
- Has transportation wheels for easy movement from one room to another
- The bench comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Very sturdy, does not squeak or wobble.
- Very easy to set up.
- The adjustments, when required are quick and easy to do.
- Versatile. It is suitable for long list of exercises.
- High weight capacity.
- It's not possible to put the backrest to a fully upright position initially. However, this is a minor problem because after placing the seat in the lowest angle, it is easy to place the backrest in the 85-degree position and then place the seat in any intended angle.
- A few shipping problems.
2. XMark 12 Position Ergonomic Adjustable Ab Bench - The Best Ab Bench / Perfect for Tall People
There is no question that this sit up board is one of the best ones. This is a highly adjustable and comfortable home fitness equipment both for beginner and fitter users. This tool is wide and long enough for nearly anybody, which makes it safe and comfortable to use. It has been developed with special technology that helps protect your lower back from injuries or strains.
- One of the most important thing if you purchase a sit-up bench is how stable and strong it is. Because of its wide and long size XM-4416 is extremely stable. People over 350 lbs can use it safely.
- Rather long, taller people can use it comfortably. Most of the other ab machines are too short, so when the user lay down, his head is on the ground. In many cases, that is not only uncomfortable, but can cause neck strains.
- Because of its wider construction, it's a good solution for bigger, wide-shouldered people.
- 12 level adjustment is definitely the most powerful feature of this ab crunch bench. The higher we set the bench, the more gravity there is and more effectively the training is. Beginners can lower the level and start there until they strengthen their abdominal muscles. Hardcore trainers can start with higher levels. This function helps to achieve full range of motion, better extension and stretching.
- It also comes with a handle bar which helps to get on or off the bench and to start the ab workout more easily.
- Because of its bigger size some people may find it hard to store or use in smaller places. But that is the reason why XM-4416 abdominal bench is so stable and comfortable
3. Universal Decline Bench - The Cheapest
This is a simple sit up equipment on a great price, which allows to perform full sit-ups and also good for twisting. Though, it only offers two levels of adjustment, Universal is still a good equipment to train abs at home. It can be folded so it can be stored easily.
- You can fold it up for easy storage. Suitable for those who live in smaller flats.
- The rollers are comfortable and adjustable covered with foam. Most of the buyers say that the rollers fix their feet so they can use the board safely and effectively.
- Easy to assemble and none of the buyers complain about missing parts.
- Most of the users say positive reviews about the padding on the bench. Universal decline bench is covered with thick cushion.
- This abdominal board has limitations. Firstly, people over 6' cannot use it comfortably as their head hang out.
- In addition, the weight limitation is 200lb.
- It wobbles under heavier people.
4. XMark Mini Ab Decline Bench XM-4415 - The Most Compact
If you are searching for a cheap, not adjustable sit up exercise equipment for you home gym, Xmark Mini is for you. Unfortunately, it is not the best solution for bigger people as XM-4415 not long and wide enough. It has compact design so it does not require to so much space to use and store.
- This is a really simple bench with no extras, but users like it as it is comfortable to use
- Compered to other benches XM-4415 is cheaper.
- Can be stored in a small place and light.
- Not adjustable and maybe uncomfortable for some users. This is a really simple board with no extras.
- It is not foldable.
5. Body-Solid Pro-Style Commercial AB Board - Gym Level
This ab board is another very popular and proven product to strengthen all your abdominal muscles. It helps to enhance the sit-ups and crunches by setting different angles. It can be adjusted in 12 positions, so it is suitable for anybody. Moreover, since it is made of high quality materials this bench is incredibly durable making it a good choice even for gyms.
- This bench comes with an extra wide board which is comfortable and helps to do different sorts of abdominal exercises safely as the motion is more stable.
- Though, it is made of strong steel it is not heavy at all. It also comes with 2 small wheels which help to move it even easier.
- It supports 12 levels to increase or decrease the resistance. The difficulty levels can be easily set. The hardest level is so steep as if you were hanging upside down, so this ab board is suitable for hardcore sportsmen, as well. This ab board offers the highest angle for sit-ups.
- The padding and the rollers are covered with extra thick Durafirm material making the usage comfortable.
- The rollers help to keep yourself stable while you do the workout, and as they are covered with soft material they are comfortable. Most of the users say that the rollers are well-positioned.
- The whole structure of this sit-up machine is extremely stable which really important to prevent injuries during ab work.
- Some users complain about that the sponge on rollers are a bit hard, and that is uncomfortable for knees.
- It is not easy to assemble.
- High price
- Tall people find it a bit short.
6. Stamina Ab/Hyper Bench Pro - Good Choice for Women
This fitness equipment is definitely one of the best buys considering that Stamina is the combination of a decline sit up bench and a Roman chair. This way we can perform abdominal exercises and hyperextension with it. So, it's an all in one solution for core training meaning you can strengthen your lower back and abdominal muscles.
- The angle of the board can be increased up to 30 degree with a pin. Hence, you can easily increase or decrease the resistance.
- The split tight support for hyperextension make usage safe and comfortable.
- The unique feature is that you can do standing hyperextension exercises to strengthen and slim your lower back.
- Fully adjustable to set it to the optimal position for your height.
- Thickly padded board for comfortable usage.
- Taller users find it a bit short.
- A few customers complained about the pin that is too short.
- A few problems with assembly.
- Low weight limit.
7. Fabfit Curved Extra Long Adjustable Sit Up Bench - Curved Design
This bench allows you to define and heat up your core very effectively and ergonomically by providing the perfect platform for a wide variety of ab exercises. It allows you to do your sit-ups, crunches, twists, and reverse crunches. Fabfit is perfect for novices looking to get into shape and for pros who intend to remain at the top. This helps in targeting the different parts of your abdominal section.
The bench comes with roller pads which have chrome end caps making the machine extremely light and durable, while at the same time providing comfort during a workout
- Extra-long back cushion, making it suitable for short and tall people.
- A curve design which helps in supporting the natural curvature of your lower back, which will help in preventing lower back pain which is common if using the flat benches.
- It features an ultra-thick back cushion which is two inches thick and provides extra support to the spine for a more efficient workout.
- The bench also features extra-long PU wrapped roller pads which have chrome end caps to comfortably secure your legs during a workout, causing less strain and fewer injuries because they are at an ideal distance.
- Both an incline and decline bench, depending on where you position your body and head, with four incline positions for comfortable and efficient twists, crunches, sit ups, and reverse crunches for your core area.
- It comes with a pair of resistance bands which help in boosting your strength training.
- The maximum user weight is 250 pounds
- It features an assembled footprint measuring 57 x 16 inches
- Assembly manual and all the necessary tools
The Fabfit Curved Extra Long Adjustable Sit Up Bench has received positive customer reviews due to the ease of assembly, thick back cushion and the fact that you can do several ab workouts on it. It is definitely worth the purchase.
- Very simple to set up
- The bench is very comfortable and stable
- Lightweight and extremely durable
- It does not have a folding design, but the assembled footprint is 57 x 16 inches and will therefore not occupy much space. You could also lower it and lean it against a wall or in the closet if you do not have a lot of space in your room.
- The ankle rollers are a bit uncomfortable.
8. XMark Commercial Sit Up Bench XM-7608 - Commercial Grade
This sit up machine is the commercial alternative of the mentioned 12 position one. This means it has an even more sturdy structure, so it can be used in gyms as well. It also comes with an amazing exclusive lifetime warranty for the entire equipment!
- Handle bar for safer usage, it really helps to mount and dismount
- Robust steel frame for long lasting usage. Because of it, XM-7608 suitable for those who want to use weights such as dumbbells on it.
- Ultra thick cushion to protect your back.
- Wider and thicker rollers for even more comfortable and safe usage.
- 12 level adjustment to tweak the optimal resistance. Making it perfect for both beginners and advanced users.
- A few users found it hard to assemble.
- High price
9. TKO Sit-Up Bench
Users like as it is light and small, so TKO is easy to move and store. It has a 23-degree angled pad which provide efficient workouts for beginners
- Users like the assist handle which help the safe and comfortably usage.
- Wheels so it is easy move it.
- Small design is perfect for those who have no space.
- Even if it small, TKO is still stable because of the wide basement.
- Not adjustable.
- Some buyers complained about the shipping.
- Too short and low to the ground.
- Its incline level is not the best.
10. Valor Fitness DF-1 Decline/Flat Bench
This adjustable decline sit up bench can be altered in 12 positions. The structure has been developed specially to support the lower back and the knees.Because of its high weight capacity and flat position, it can be used as a weight bench as well.
- The board is covered with thick foam which allows comfortable usage.
- Since Valor Df-1 is really sturdy it is not only suitable for ab training, but for other decline workouts as well.
- Because of the contoured angle behind the knees (which is unique feature among the ab benches). It allows more lower back safe usage.
- Extra wide and long board. Hence, DF-1 is suitable for taller users.
- The wide basement provides extra stability making it a perfect bench for any decline exercises.
- It does not come with wheels which can help to move it and it is rather pricey.
Which is the best?
Based on the features and the customer reviews the winner is the Xmark 12 Position Sit Up Bench. It comes with all the functions that required for comfortable, efficient and safe workout and perfect for anyone. But if you need a workout bench as well for your home gym get Fitness Reality.
How to buy a sit up machine
- Pay attention to the cushion. It must be thick and high-density for comfortable usage.
- Check the specifications to know if you have enough space to store and use. However, there are foldable products.
- If you want to use it to do other weight training exercises, then purchase one that is well-constructed coming with a strong steel mainframe.
- Check the user reviews to see how it works for others.
- Think about what type is the most suitable for you (adjustable, traditional, high weight capacity, curved, etc.)
What are the benefits?
- Strengthen your entire core. Your core means your abs, oblique, hip and lower back muscles. To build an attractive midsection, you should train each of these muscles. Furthermore, a strong core is vital if you do other sports and proper posture. With the help of a bench, you will be able to target all those muscles.
- Tone and tighten your abs. But, follow a healthy diet and control your calorie intake, you can burn belly fat faster with it. If you already have a lean stomach, then you will see results quickly. It is a powerful equipment to get those six pack abs.
- It supports your back ( just do the exercises properly.) The models mentioned below come with ergonomic leg rollers that help to reduce back strain. Moreover, since they are covered with thick foam, you will be able to do moves more comfortably then doing them on the floor.
- You will be able to do a wide range of exercises, not just abdominal ones. For example, I use it for doing decline dumbbell bench presses. It can be a useful fitness bench for other purposes.
- The adjustable models are beneficial for both beginners and advanced users since the resistance can be adjusted to make the exercises easier or harder. Some models even come with handle for easy mount and dismount.
How effective are abdominal benches?
No matter which one you will use, none of them will be sufficient if you do not use them correctly. It is important to learn how to use this equipment to get the best results. Also, you need to follow a routine. Do not think that you will have six pack abs just because you make some exercises.
Is it worth buying a sit up equipment?
It isn't necessary to buy an abdominal bench, but if you can afford this equipment is worth to buy. There are many great workouts you can do to train your abs without using any machines, but an adjustable decline bench can help a lot to make your routine even more efficient.
Why does my back hurt after I use the ab bench?
It is crucial to do the motion properly. You must not let too much strain on your spine; you can do this by bending your knees. Besides, you do not have to go down so far and keep your ab muscles flexed. Finally, you may need to train your lower back.
Did you like this guide to sit up benches? Share with your friends!
Last update on 2019-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API