Last Updated on
Adjustable sit up benches are among those beneficial abs exercise equipment that can help you a lot to strengthen your core muscles at home. While there are several exercises for abs you can do without equipment, a bench can increase the efficiency of your workouts drastically.
The best sit up benches are adjustable which means you can set the angle of the board. This way you can increase or decrease the resistance for your needs. Beginners can adjust it to a lower angle so the exercise will be easier. Hardcore trainers can set the angle higher so resistance will be far harder.
Best Adjustable Decline Ab Bench Comparison Chart
Below you can find a quick comparison of the best ab benches and under chart you can find the detailed reviews, our ratings and other tips.
1. FITNESS REALITY X-CLASS MULTI-WORKOUT BENCH
best bench for Home Gym
2. XMARK XM-4416 Xmark 12 Position Ergonomic Ab Bench
The Best Ab Bench / Good for Tall People
3. UNIVERSAL UB100 DECLINE BENCH
4. XMARK MINI AB BENCH
The Most Compact
5. BODY-SOLID COMMERCIAL AB BOARD
6. STAMINA PRO AB/HYPER BENCH
Top Pick for Women
7. FABFIT CURVED SIT UP BENCH
8. XMARK XM-7608 WHITE
9. TKO SIT-UP BENCH
10. VALOR FITNESS DECLINE/FLAT BENCH
High Capacity Adjustable Weight Bench as Well
When do you need one?
1. Fitness Reality X-Class Light Commercial Multi-Workout Bench - The Best Sit Up Bench in 2019
This bench will help you add both lower and upper body exercises to your workout regimen, allowing you to build muscles with lower back extensions, abdominal crunches, single dumbbell rows, knee raises, preacher curls, lower back exercises, and so much more!
You are also able to include flat and decline abdominal crunches. It allows you to target the upper, lower and middle chest muscles with the multiple bench dumbbell exercises that can be done on it.
Fitness Reality Multi-Workout Bench has transportation wheels which make it easy to move around the house if need be. This makes it possible to use it in a certain spot in the house and store it in a different spot
- 2.5-inch thick high density foam bench with a moisture and sweat resistant vinyl cover that is double stitched.
- Measures 36 x 8-12 inches and is tapered.
- 650-pound real maximum capacity, height range of 5 feet to 6’4”.
- 2 x 2-inch sturdy steel frame with a 45 degree back extension angle.
- The push-up and dipping handlebars are soft, slip-resistant, and are 1.5 inches in diameter
- 4-inch extra thick foam pads which allow 2 roller pad adjustment levels for multiple users of different heights.
- It has a 7-level adjustable backrest and the bench seat has four vertical height adjustments.
- Detachable leg lockdown for sit ups and crunches.
- Split 2-inch thigh support cushions with 14 height.
- The sturdy bench has one flat and 3 decline adjustments and a 2.5-inch medium density foam which guarantees increased comfort.
- U-shaped stabilizer bar which reduces wobbling.
- Has wheels for easy relocation from one room to another.
- The utility bench comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
I would recommend this Ironman Bench if you are looking to have a wide variety of lower, middle and upper chest, abdominal, and leg workouts at home. This bench is definitely worth every single dollar you will spend buying it.
2. XMark Fitness 12 Position Ergonomic Adjustable Decline Ab Bench XM-4416.1 - The Best Ab Bench / Suitable for Tall People
There is no question that this sit up board is one of the best ones. This is an adjustable and comfortable home fitness equipment both for beginner and fitter users. Its size is enough for nearly anybody, which makes it safe and comfortable to use. It has been developed with special technology that protects your lower back from injuries or strains.
- Because of its wide and long size XM-4416 is extremely stable. People over 350 lbs can use it safely.
- Rather long, taller people can use it comfortably. Most of the other ab machines are too short, so when the user lay down, his head is on the ground. That is not only uncomfortable, but can cause neck strains.
- Because of its an extended construction, it's a good solution for bigger, wide-shouldered men.
- 12 level adjustment is definitely the most powerful feature of this ab crunch bench. The higher we adjust the bench, the more gravity there is and more effectively the training is. Beginners can lower the level and start there until they strengthen their abdominal muscle. Hardcore trainers can begin with high angled levels. This function gives full range of motion, better extension and stretching.
- It also comes with a support handlebar to get on or off the bench and to start the ab workout more easily.
- 14 gauge steel mainframe and tear resistant, extra thick cushion upholstery for durability.
- Because of its bigger size some may find it difficult to store or use in smaller places. But that is the reason why XM-4416 abdominal bench is so stable and comfortable
Based on the customer reviews and the features it provides, it's an excellent choice and the most popular item in this price range. I also think it's the best ab bench.
3. Universal Decline Bench - The Cheapest
This is a simple sit up equipment on a great price, which allows to perform full sit-ups and also good for twisting. Though, it only offers two levels of adjustment, Universal is still a good equipment to train abs at home. It can be folded so it can be stored easily.
- You can fold it up for easy storage. Good choice for those who live in smaller flats.
- The rollers are comfortable and adjustable covered with foam. People say that the rollers fix their feet so they can use the crunch board securely and effectively.
- Easy to assemble and none of the buyers complain about missing parts.
- Most of the users say positive reviews about the thick padding on the bench. Universal has dense cushion.
- This abdominal board has limitations. Men over 6' cannot use it conveniently as their head hang out.
- In addition, the weight limitation is 200lb.
- It wobbles under heavier trainers.
In case you are bigger than the mentioned values, do not buy it. You will not be able to use it comfortably. Although, it is maybe a good choice for women under average height. To sum up it is a very basic product.
4. XMark Mini Ab Decline Bench XM-4415 - The Most Compact
If you are searching for a cheap, not adjustable sit up bench for you home gym, Xmark Mini is for you. Unfortunately, it is not the best solution for bigger men as XM-4415 not long and wide enough. It has compact design so it does not require to so much space to use and store. Suitable for one having limited space.
- This is a really simple bench, but users like it as it is comfortable to use
- Compared to other benches XM-4415 is cheaper.
- Can be stored in a small place and light.
- Not adjustable and maybe uncomfortable for some users. This is a really simple board with no extras.
- It is not foldable.
A rather small bench that provides basic features. I think, it is a better option for women.
5. Body-Solid Pro-Style Commercial AB Board - Gym Level
Body Solid GAB60 ab board is another proven product to strengthen all your abdominal muscles. It helps to enhance the exercises by setting different degree angles. It can be adjusted in 12 positions, so it is suitable for anybody. Moreover, since it is made of quality materials this bench is incredibly durable making it a good choice even for gyms.
- This bench comes with an extra wide board which is comfortable and helps to do different sorts of abdominal exercises safely as the motion is more controlled.
- Though, it is made of strong steel it is not heavy at all. It also comes with 2 small rollers which help to relocate it even easier.
- It supports 12 levels to increase or decrease the difficulty. The hardest level is so steep as if you were hanging upside down, so this crunch board is fitting to professional sportsmen, as well. This ab board offers the highest angle for sit-ups.
- The thick padding and the rollers are covered with dense Durafirm material making the usage comfortable.
- The rollers help to keep yourself stable while you do the workout, and as they have soft upholstery they are comfortable. Most of the users say that the foam rollers are well-positioned.
- The whole structure of this sit up machine is extremely stable which really important to prevent injuries during ab work.
- Some users complain about that the sponge on rollers are a bit firm, and that is uncomfortable for knees.
- It is not easy to assemble.
- High price
A gym quality ab workout bench for long lasting usage, but a bit more expensive. Because of its price, I think there are better purchases here.
6. Stamina Ab/Hyper Bench Pro - Good Choice for Women
This fitness equipment is definitely one of the best buys considering that Stamina is the combination of a decline sit up bench and a back extension. This way we can perform core strengthening exercises with it. So, it's an all in one solution for core training meaning you can develop your lower back and abdominal muscles.
- The angle of the board can be increased up to 30 degree with a pin. Hence, you can easily increase or decrease the difficulty.
- The split tight support for hyperextension make usage safe and comfortable.
- The unique feature is that you can do standing hyperextension exercises to strengthen and slim your lower back.
- Fully adjustable to alter it to the optimal position for your height.
- Thickly padded foam board and foam rollers for comfortable usage.
- Taller users find it not long enough.
- A few customers complained about the pin.
- A few problems with assembly.
- Low weight limit.
Considering that it supports the hyperextension exercise, it's a more versatile model than the others. Great for home usage and for women.
7. Fabfit Curved Extra Long Adjustable Sit Up Bench - Unique Design
This slant board allows you to define and heat up your core very effectively and ergonomically by providing the perfect platform for a lot of ab exercises. It allows you to do your bench sit up, twists, and reverse crunches. Fabfit is good for novices looking to get into shape and for pros who intend to remain at the top. This supports targeting the different parts of your abdominal section.
The bench comes with roller pads which have chrome end caps making the product extremely light and durable, while at the same time providing comfort during a workout
- Extra-long back cushion.
- A curve design supports the natural curvature of your lower back, which will help in preventing lower back pain which is common if using the flat benches.
- It features an ultra-thick back cushion which is two inches and provides better support to the spine for a more efficient workout.
- The bench also features extended PU wrapped roller pads which have chrome end caps to conveniently secure your legs during a workout, causing less strain and fewer injuries because they are at an ideal distance.
- Both an incline and decline bench, depending on where you position your body and head, with four incline positions for comfortable and efficient twists, sit ups, and reverse crunches for your core area.
- It comes with a pair of resistance bands which help in boosting your strength training.
- The maximum user weight is 250 pounds
- It features an assembled footprint measuring 57 x 16 inches
- Assembly manual and all the necessary tools
The Fabfit Curved Fitness Sit Up Bench has received positive customer reviews due to the ease of assembly, dense back cushion and the fact that you can do several ab workouts on it. It is definitely worth the purchase.
- Very simple to assemble
- The bench is very comfortable
- Lightweight and extremely durable
- Durable steel tubing
- It does not have a folding design, but the assembled footprint is 57 x 16 inches and will therefore not occupy much space. You could also lower it and lean it against a wall or in the closet if you do not have a lot of space in your room.
- The ankle rollers are a bit uncomfortable.
I would recommend it for anyone who is looking to have a variety of abdominal workouts. It is one equipment that you must have for your home gym and it sure will give you value for your money.
It is currently unavailable!
8. XMark Commercial Sit Up Bench XM-7608 - Commercial Grade
This machine is the commercial alternative of the mentioned 12 position one. This means it has an even more sturdy structure, so it can be used in gyms as well. It also comes with an amazing exclusive lifetime warranty for the equipment!
- Handle bar for safer usage. It can be used as a reverse crunch handle as well.
- Robust heavy duty steel frame construction for long lasting usage. Because of it, XM-7608 suitable for those who want to use weights such as dumbbells on it.
- Ultra dense cushion to protect your back.
- Thickly padded foam leg rollers for even more comfortable and comfy usage.
- 12 level adjustment to tweak the optimal resistance. Good for both beginners and pro users.
- A few users found it hard to assemble.
If you need a really durable, gym quality bench for multiple purposes, it is the model you need. Also, a good choice for commercial gyms.
9. TKO Sit-Up Bench Review
Users like as it is light and small, so TKO is easy to move and store. It has a 23-degree angled pad which provide efficient core workout for beginners
- Users like the assist handle which help the secure usage.
- Comfortable leg rollers.
- Portable with rollers.
- Small design for those who have no space.
- Even if it is small, TKO is still a stable construction because of the extended basement.
- Not adjustable.
- Someone complained about the shipping.
- Too short and low to the ground.
- Its incline level is not the best.
If you are searching for small, yet sturdy and stable decline ab bench then TKO is a good choice. But it price is too expensive for a sit up machine like that. I don't recommend it.
10. Valor Fitness DF-1 Decline/Flat Bench
This adjustable decline sit up bench can be altered in 12 positions. The structure has been designed specially to support the lower back and the knees. Because of its high limit and flat position, it can be used as a weight bench as well.
- The crunch board has thick foam which allows comfortable usage.
- Since Valor Df-1 is really sturdy it is not only suitable for ab training, but for other decline workouts as well.
- Because of the contoured angle behind the knees (which is unique feature among the ab benches). It allows more lower back safe usage.
- Wide and long board. Hence, DF-1 is fitting to tall guys.
- The wide steel tubing basement provides stability for any decline exercises.
- It does not come with wheels which can help to move it and it is rather pricey.
A really versatile and robust bench for any types of decline workout.
Which is the best?
Based on the features and the customer reviews the winner is the Xmark 12 Position Sit Up Bench. It comes with all the functions that required for comfortable, efficient and safe workout. But if you need an exercise bench as well for your home gym get Fitness Reality.
What are the benefits?
- Strengthen your core. Your core means your abs, oblique, hip and lower back muscles. To build an attractive midsection, you should train each of these muscles. Furthermore, a strong core is vital if you do other sports and proper posture. With the help of a bench, you will be able to target all those muscles.
- Tone and tighten your abs. But, follow a healthy diet and control your calorie intake, you can burn belly fat faster with it. If you already have a lean stomach, then you will see results quickly. It is a powerful equipment to get those six pack abs.
- It supports your back ( just do the exercises properly.) The models mentioned come with ergonomically positioned leg rollers that help to reduce back strain. Moreover, since they are covered with thick foam, you will be able to do the activities more comfortably then doing them on the floor.
- You will be able to do a wide range of core strengthening exercises, not just abdominal ones. For example, I use it for performing decline dumbbell bench presses. It can be a useful fitness bench for other purposes.
- The adjustable models are beneficial for both beginners and advanced users since the resistance can be adjusted to make the exercises more effective. Some models even come with reverse crunch handle for easy mount and dismount.
How effective are abdominal benches?
No matter which one you will use, none of them will be sufficient if you do not use them correctly. It is important to learn how to use this equipment to get the best results. Also, you need to follow a routine. Do not think that you will have six pack abs just because you make some exercises.
Is it worth buying a sit up equipment?
It isn't necessary to buy an abdominal bench, but if you can afford this equipment is worth to buy. There are many great workouts you can do to train your abs without using any machines, but an adjustable decline bench can help a lot to make your routine even more efficient.
Why does my back hurt after I use the ab bench?
It is crucial to do the motion properly. You must not let too much strain on your spine; you can do this by bending your knees. Besides, you do not have to go down so far and keep your ab muscles flexed. Finally, you may need to train your lower back.
Did you like this guide to sit up benches? Share with your friends!
Hi! I’m Walter, a 36-years old gym owner. I’ve been working out since I was 15. Now I do calisthenics and boxing. On this website, I’d like to share my workout and home workout equipment tips.
Last update on 2019-07-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API