I started calisthenics 3 years ago. This sort of training needs a powerful core. Therefore, I spend quite a lot of time training my abdominal muscles in different ways.
The advantage of calisthenics is that it trains not only your abdominals efficiently but also helps to burn belly fat since these are compound moves. Also, you do not need to go to the gym, and no equipment is required. Although for the various leg raises, you need a pull-up bar or a power tower.
There are some excellent calisthenics ab workout routines available online. In this post, I have collected the most powerful ones that allow working out your entire core. You can find easier as well as harder ones.
Frank Medrano Calisthenics Abs Workout
As you can see this routine contains different sorts of plank variations. Doing plank is my favorite abs workout and the mentioned alternatives maximize the effect of this abdominal training method. For these, no bar is needed.
- The first exercise trains the entire abdomen, lower back, glutes and other smaller muscles which that control your stability. It is vital to stretch your body, keep your hand and leg high. He suggests keeping the position for 30 sec. I do it for 30 – 45 seconds, and it is a killer.
- Knee tucking is another powerful workout which is especially useful to train hips and oblique. He recommends doing 15 reps. I usually do 20 at the beginning of the routine and less at the end.
- Side plank hold is the best to strengthen your oblique and hips. Since I have done it a lot, I keep it for 45 minutes, but sometimes I “use” my 2-year-old son to make this abdominal workout harder. He climbs on my side, and I do not raise my leg. Of course, it is much harder to hold the position. You can try it, but be careful! You need to place your elbow well to stay stable.
- I also do pure calisthenics plank hold for 30-45 minutes, and I sometimes use my son to increase the tension. He likes to sit on my back, and I feel that my whole midsection burns.
- Simple crunches and side crunches are one of the most common abdominal exercises to train and tone the abs muscles. I do 15 – 20 repetitions and I try to lift my torso as I high as possible.
- Leg raise is the best to train lower abs, which is used a lot when you do calisthenics workouts. If you cannot lift your body entirely, lift only your knees. I do 15-20 repetitions. Sometimes I ask my wife to push done my legs while they are up. This negative resistance develops abs muscles very effectively.
I do these bodyweight exercises to train my abs muscles after general calisthenics training or after doing cardio kickboxing. Typically, I do all exercises 3-4 times.
Epic Outdoor calisthenics core workout
It is a calisthenics abs workout for intermediate. I started about 2 weeks ago. It is the best core training I have ever made. It is hard since you have to use your whole bodyweight, you need to control your body and the movement. However, if you want to do calisthenics, you have to train your stomach muscles like this.
- Leg raise push is the first workout. It is the best to start with as it is not so hard, though I can do only 8-10 correctly yet.
- Common leg raises are very beneficial movements. Control the motion, keep your legs stretched and straight. He suggests doing 15, but I cannot do more than 10 properly.
- Front levers are for pros. It is hard to do since incredible strong abdominals, and upper body is needed. I can do 1-2 yet, but I prepare for it by doing lots of leg raises.
- Knee raises are good to train the oblique, and as it is no so hard. I can do 10 – 15 reps by side. It is essential to concentrate on your hips and oblique while you do it.
- Overhead kicking is another advanced strength training which is rather hard to do. I always try to do some, but I cannot do any properly yet.
- L-siting is one of my favorites, although I cannot do it for 20 seconds as it is suggested yet. When I started to do calisthenics I was able to do it for 5 seconds, now I can do it for 10-12 seconds.
I usually do this ab training routine 2-3 times a week. I do 3-4 times the mentioned exercises.
Nowadays, I use these two calisthenics abs workouts, and I have good results. My stomach is flatter than before, and I can do far more sit-ups, leg raises, crunches, etc. I feel that my abdominal muscles support my training well.
More Calisthenics Ab Exercises and Routines
In the following videos you can learn some more moves that you can add to your routine.
I think the following ones are the best street workout abs routines and the presentations are great as well. Big thanks for madbarz.com
Did you like these calisthenics workouts for abs? Share with your friends.
Last update on 2019-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API