Last Updated on by
A power tower is among the most useful home fitness equipment considering that we can work the entire body with the help of it. We can perform a wide variety of bodyweight exercises that are great for strengthening and building muscles. It can be the most beneficial piece of equipment for your home gym.
Below you can find the reviews and comparison of the best power towers based on customer reviews, price, and the features they come with. For a quick review check out the table below, underneath you can find detailed reviews about the particular product.
The best buy items
Best Power Towers Reviews
1. Weider Power Tower – Good Value for the Money
Weider has its name in the field gym machines. They made high-quality products, and that goes for this power tower. Even if it is an affordable model, people like it for stability and robust design. It comes with the typical workout stations and the thickly padded back, and hand grips make it comfortable to use.
However, the assembly is not an easy task. Many customers complain that the instructions are not clear and with that, after the assembly, the Weider power tower wobbles. On the other hand, some techie guys have shared great tips on how to put it together to avoid bad construction.
Also, a few buyers found the packaging of it pretty bad and complain about missing parts, but they get them after getting in touch with the support fast.
- Very well-built and solid structure.
- Comfortable and durable cushion.
- Great value for a well-made power tower.
- Stable design.
- 57L x 41W x 84H inches (94 pounds).
- It can be used up to 300 lb.
- Some customers found it a bit too big for a small flat.
- A few complaints about missing parts and packaging.
- Unclear assembly instructions.
2. Fitness Reality High Capacity Pull Up Dip Station – The Most Robust /For Weighted Calisthenics Workout
It allows you to perform a very wide variety of workouts, all on the same machine. Do your single knee squats, incline pushups, vertical knee raises, hammer pull-ups, pushups, sit-ups, assisted triceps dips, and progressive pull-ups. It, therefore, gives you a complete workout, helping you burn extra calories, lose weight, and increase muscle mass. In my opinion, it is the best power tower on this list.
This home pull up station handles a maximum weight limit of 400 pounds, higher than most equipment can. This makes it a great pull up dip tower for a wide range of people. It is a commercial-grade pull up dip station.
This pull up dip station has received a lot of positive critiques from customers right from assembly to the workouts. It allows you to perform a very wide range of exercises, giving you real value for your money.
- It is extremely heavy duty.
- Very easy to assemble.
- It is very sturdy once assembled.
- It offers a huge variety of practices.
It is quite a costly piece of equipment. However, it is well worth the investment as it is capable of giving you advanced workout, better than most of the gear in the gym. There will be no need for a gym subscription after acquiring pull up/dip/leg raise machine, and it will mean a big deal of savings for you in the long run.
3. XMark XM-4434 Fitness Tower
In case you are searching for a more robust model that can handle more weight then Xmark Power tower XM-4434 is a better option for you. Because of the 14-gauge steel frame construction, it can handle about 350 lbs. Hence, if you are heavier than average, you can use it safely. Or, in case you are a pro, you can add extra resistance to your conditioning by using weight plates with a belt or a weight vest.
A problem that sometimes occurs with pull up stations is that the dip handles are too wide or narrow. Most of the people who use XM-4434 found this feature pretty comfortable to exercise with. It is optimal for the bulk of them. However, the length of the dip handles can be a bit lengthier.
Also, customers tell us that the back and armrests are well placed and thick providing comfortable training.
Keep in mind that this is a rather tall model. The height is 82.2 inches (211 cm) so it is maybe not the best option for a basement to use comfortably. On the other hand, this is the reason why it is suitable for taller people.
Pros & specifications
- The handles are covered with comfortable rubber for safe usage.
- The Xmark power comes with a narrow and wide pull up bars.
- Tear-resistant cushion.
- Protection against floor damage.
- Easy to assemble.
- No movement even if it is used on the carpeted floor.
- The dip bars are not too wide.
- Sturdy structure made from high-quality materials.
- 82.5″ tall, 24.5″ wide and 52.5″ long
- Some higher and heavier buyers found it wobbling a bit.
- Short dip bars.
4. Stamina 1690 – Good for Small Space
Are you on a budget or searching for a tower that does not need so much space? If that is the case, Stamina 1690 is the product for you.
Compared to other models here it is not as robust and feature-rich. For example, the limit is just 250 lbs, and it does not come with a professional dip section. But for the cost, you will get an item that is perfect for doing the most beneficial bodyweight exercises. Many customers use it in small flats.
The manufacturer tried to put as many functions as possible into this compact power tower, and most of them work pretty well. The only feature I would not suggest to use is the sit-up section. Stamina 1690 is too light for that, and it may fall on you. But you can put some weight on the frame base of it to avoid that.
Customers like it for its lightweight structure and compact size. Hence, they can quickly move it around and store after working out.
To conclude, for the price you will get a quite well-designed tower, which is not as robust and stable as the others but does its job pretty well.
Pros & specifications
- The Stamina power tower takes a small place, optimal for smaller rooms.
- Lightweight, but sturdy.
- Non-slip end caps.
- Comfortable, secure, foam hand grips
- Made in the USA
- 50 x 81.5 x 41.5 inches (W x H x D); weighs 54 pounds
- Taller and heavier users complain about wobbling.
- A few complaints about that there is not enough room for pull-ups.
5. Stamina X Fortress Power Tower – The Most Versatile Thanks to Attachments
Let’s see the posts.
The pull-up station has two external foam handles to perform wide-grip pull-ups and two inner bars. Unfortunately, the internal handles are only parallel so you cannot do close grip pull or chin-ups. Just the hammer version. However, the tower is equipped with rock climbing grips and ball grips which I have never seen on any other power towers. These attachments are handy to have more challenging and versatile bodyweight training. And, such shapes will boost the power of your grips for sure. The rock climbing attachments are at the end of the vertical bars. The balls are attached to the inner grips of the pull-up station.
Plyometric training station. This is a very useful section to add plyo exercises to your workout routine that helps to burn fat and develops explosive power and endurance. The plyo box is on a sturdy frame and has a non-slip surface. It is also adjustable in 7 positions from 16-24 inches. A standard box is higher than those levels but still gives functional exercises for your lower body.
The dip bars are adjustable in 7 positions and has foam grips at the end. The adjustability makes it an excellent choice for newcomers since they can do feet assisted progressive exercises for dips.
The vertical knee raise station is simpler than usual. Firstly, there is no backrest, just a foam covered roll between the two upright bar for back support. Also, there is no elbow padding. Hence, performing vertical knee lifts are not as comfortable and requires more control. (But, with that many other stabilizer muscles are activated as well.)
A beneficial attachment is the ab straps for a more convenient and versatile core training. The bands help to control the motions and focus on the midsection by avoiding swinging.
To conclude, Stamina X Fortress is a high-end multifunctional power tower that provides a total body workout because of the extra attachments.
6. BowFlex Body Tower – For Beginners and Short People
This tower is at a higher price range because it comes with several extra features for stability, better training, and more exercise.
Firstly, this is an adjustable-height power tower. It comes with EZ-Adjust horizontal bars that mean you can lower or put higher the dip bars. This way you can do more types of exercises such as decline pushups. Or, this function might be useful if you are a beginner and you cannot do full motion dips or leg/knee lifts.
Another very useful extra for beginners that this Bowflex Tower comes with are the sling traps. Sling traps are useful to keep the correct form while you do leg lifts or knee raises protecting you from moving forward and backward. Hence, you can focus more on the exercise itself. Also, you can do supine rowing which is an excellent starter bodyweight back exercise.
Most of the users found it stable. The reason is that it is made from commercial-grade steel mainframe.
However, it should be slightly taller, I think. The height is just 77 inches (195 cm), so for tall guys like me, it is not the best pull up tower option.
- Adjustable horizontal bars which let us to more types of exercises.
- Since it comes with more functions we can use it for more kinds of workouts.
- Sling straps which are very useful accessories for beginners.
- Sturdy structure made from the highest quality of materials.
- Rubber covered handles for safe usage.
- Modern design.
- Dipping bars are comfortable to use.
- Workout placard demonstrating many exercises.
- L 53″ x W 50″ x H 77″, 120 pounds
- A few buyers find the pull up bar a bit low.
- A few had problems with shipping.
7. Soozier Full Body Home Fitness Station – For Total Abs Training
It allows you to take charge of your health and take your workouts to the next level because it is a complete home fitness gym. It allows you to perform multiple exercises, including waist, abdominal, and upper body, all in one gym stuff. It has several functions for the various body workouts.
The Soozier Home Fitness Station w/Sit-up Bench handles a maximum weight limit of 665 pounds, which is much higher than other pull up towers can accommodate. This makes it a great equipment for a wide range of athletes.
- Sit-up bars enabling you to tone and build your abdominal muscle groups.
- A vertical knee raises section that will help you reveal and define your abdominal muscles.
- A push-up handles with cushioned handgrips that provide comfort as you work out your abdomen, waist, chest, and upper limbs.
- A multi-grip pull-up bar (narrow and wide grip) that helps you improve the strength of your arms.
- A dip station with padded hand grips to help you work on your upper body, especially the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Well-padded cushioning for a more comfortable workout.
- The elbow foam pads are contoured, and it has oversized dip handles for extra comfort.
- The overall size is 69 x 35 x 80 inches (L x W x H) and weighs 112 pounds.
- The maximum weight capacity is 665 pounds.
- Adjustable sit up bench that allows you to increase or decrease the angle of the board for more or less resistance.
It has received a lot of positive reviews from customers due to ease of assembly and the fact that one can do a whole-body workout routine on the same equipment, including sit-ups. Customers believe that it is worth every penny that you spend buying it.
- It is very easy to assemble and disassemble; the assembling tips are diagrammatic, making them easy to follow.
- It allows a wide variety of workouts.
- It is very stable; does not shift or wobble at all.
- If it is placed on an uneven floor, it is bound to be a bit unstable. This can be solved by putting a piece of gym flooring made from rubber or foam.
- It can be a bit higher.
8. Body Champ Exercise Tower
The price is not bad, but you get what you pay for. Customers think the design should be much better. Also, they complain about missing parts, bad welding and bolting, and that the instructions are not clear. Hence, the dip bars jiggle, and it is not so stable.
Well, in my opinion, Body Champ power tower is better to invest in something better at a bit higher price. It is pretty annoying to work out with a wobbling tower.
- Affordable price.
- Slip-resistant foot grips.
- Adjustable push-up bars for better chest workouts.
- Padded back and arm cushions.
- 42 x 43 x 85.8 inches ; 64 pounds
- Some complaints about the dip bars are too wide.
- There were a few shipping problems.
- Design can be better.
9. Pull Up Station With Lift Assist
Not available now!
This machine has been built for beginners to help perform their first pull-ups and dips. It has a unique lift assist technology that elevates the user to carry out the moves in case they have not enough strength yet. The amount of support can be adjusted with the 4 included bands. However, additional bands cannot be bought.
The weight capacity is amazing, it can handle up to 600 pounds. Hence, it is a good solution for those overweight people who want to start working out.
Customers like it for its ergonomic design. The handles are comfortable to use and provide various grip positions.
Also, it comes with an adjustable sit up bench for training your abs.
Features & Benefits
- Split grip pull up and dip bars.
- Vertical knee raise (VKR) station.
- The weight assist attachment includes 4 weight assist bands to assist in dips and pull-ups.
- Ergonomic design.
- 600 lb weight capacity
- 64” x 29.5” x 82”, 320 pounds
The not so good
- No training materials.
- A bit hard to assemble.
- High cost.
10. Workout Tower With Heavy Bag Stand – Boost Your Endurance with Punching Workouts
Heavy bag training is one of the most beneficial workouts to develop your cardio, endurance, burn fat, and even to release stress. And bodyweight training is great for boosting your strength and building muscle mass. Now, with this professional exercise tower, you can do both.
XMark Fitness Deluxe has a section at the back that allows you to hang a maximum of 100 lbs bag. That is enough for anyone to have a great punching workout at home.
It has a distinctive design that does not let the tower fall over. But I think the best is if we fix the base to the ground or use the Olympic weight adapters. Keep in mind that it does not come with boxing bag, though.
Besides the traditional workout stations and the heavy bag stand, it comes with other useful features. For example, you can store your weight plates, and it has sit-up bars.
Because of the heavy-duty steel construction is rather heavy, so it is hard to move around. But if it were light, it would not be stable enough for a bag.
Putting it together is not easy, and you will surely need help if you are not a techie guy like me.
Don’t forget you will not be able to train as if you use a hanging heavy bag. You can punch the bag from the left, right, and the front, but you cannot go around. And you should be careful with the basement of the tower. In spite of this, you can have a great heavy bag workout at home without needing a lot of space.
The price is higher compared to other fitness power towers, but you get a unit that is suitable for cardio workouts as well and provides more kinds of exercises.
- 14-gauge durable steel mainframe construction.
- 100 lb. heavy bag capacity.
- Great for boxing, martial arts, and cardio workout.
- Bag not included.
- 62 x 54.5 x 94 inches ; 126 pounds
If you want home gym equipment that lets you do both strength and cardio training this model is the best solution for you. You can do the same bodyweight exercises with it, but you can hang a heavy bag at the back of it. Boxing is a proven way to burn fat and develop endurance.
Types of pull up dip stations
Here I’m going to talk about what kind of exercise stations are there? What are they good for? Their pros and cons. So, you will know which is the best pick for you.
1. Power Tower – The all-in-one equipment for upper body training
The power tower provides the most possibilities to exercise. It has a pull-up, dip, push up and vertical knee raise station. All the required tools in one equipment to perform the most beneficial bodyweight exercises.
The pull-up section usually comes with multiple grip positions to focus on one particular part of your upper body.
The vertical knee raise station helps a beginner to perform the knee raises more comfortably and correctly thanks to the arm padding, back pad, and the handles.
And most of the products come with a push-up section so that you can go deeper. This helps to develop the size and strength of your chest muscles.
But, we are talking about rather large exercise equipment that requires space to use and store. Also, since so many functions are put into one gear, you may feel a little wobbling or lack area while performing the exercises. And, some products are not easy to put together.
There are 4 versions besides the standard one.
1. One that only comes with a pull-up and dip station (no VKR) such as Stamina 1690. These products are cheaper, lighter, and take up less space.
2. Assisted power towers
This machine is designed to help those trainees who are not strong enough to perform dips and pull-ups yet. A unique technology is added to make the moves more comfortable to do, and the support can be adjusted.
But, they are costly, hard to put together, and big. So, I say it is better to use resistance bands instead.
3. Exercise towers with a punching bag stand
Hitting the boxing bag is an excellent way to burn fat, develop your cardio and endurance. Plus, it is an exciting way of working out that requires constant learning. And, if you combine it with bodyweight strength training, it does magic to your body (I do it, and this workout has brought me fantastic results.)
This home gym equipment has a power tower section with all the well-known functions, but at the back of it, there is also a heavy bag stand where you can hang the bag. It has wide and long stabilizers at the bottom, so rocking is minimal while hitting the bag.
However, this type of machine is huge and more expensive than standard ones. But, I think the cardio and strength training possibilities it provides making it an excellent choice.
4. Pull up station with (sit up bench)
This type, besides the typical functions, comes with an adjustable sit up bench so you can do even more sorts of abdominal exercises. Depending on the bench you can choose from various angles to get the most suitable resistance for your work out. Plus, if it has a high maximum weight capacity and flat level, you can use it as a weight bench.
But, it is big, and you have to pay a little more for it. I recommend it for those who want to do more sorts of abs exercises and do not have a workout bench yet.
5. Commercial grade towers
This type provides the best user experience since they are very stable and everything is designed ergonomically. Also, it has high weight capacity so professional trainees can use it with additional weight. It has long years of warranty. Indeed, they cost much more.
6. Outdoor pull up dip station
These products are covered with special paint, so they stand the sun, rain, and ice. But, because of the extra protection, they cost more.
2. Wall Mounted Pull Up Bar – For one having little space
The wall-mounted pull-up bar is an excellent choice for those who have not so much space at home. You just need to install it on the wall, and you can perform pull-ups, chin-ups, and leg raises. The workout experience is pretty good since there is no rocking and you can choose from different grip positions to target various parts of your back. Plus, its cost is pretty affordable since you can get one about 30-50 dollars.
But, you cannot do dips with it, and the installation must be secure. Plus, novices may find it hard to perform leg or knee raises since they do not get the help of the arm pad and handles.
3. Dip stand – Just for dips
The dip stand is only good for one thing, doing dips. However, this equipment provides an excellent training experience for performing dips. Firstly, because the vertical bars are at the optimal positions. Also, you have space to complete the move. Finally, they are very stable. You can get a good one for about 60-80 bucks.
However, they need to workout space to store and use. And, it can be used for only a few bodyweight exercises.
What to consider when buying a power tower?
Typically, this equipment has about 250 lbs max capacity which is suitable for most of the people. Even if you are around 200 lbs, you can train safely with it.
However, if you are at an advanced fitness level, you may want to use additional weights. For example, you want to do pull-ups with weight plates hanging on your belt. If you are 200 lbs, like me, and you pack on 40 pounds, well a 250 lbs capacity tower is not going to be safe anymore. It may break and wobble.
So, if you are a hefty guy or want to perform weighted bodyweight exercises, it is better to buy a power tower with higher maximum capacity.
Gym quality equipment such as Fitness Reality X Class High Capacity commercial-grade power tower or Xmark XM-7617 are two products with capacity over 500 lbs. That level is enough for even serious trainees. Obviously, they cost much more than other items, but they last forever and support your development in the long run.
If you have average weight and just need something to get stronger, a standard tower will do.
Tilting and moving exercise tower is not only annoying since you cannot focus on your training, but dangerous as well.
Typically, units with more extended and broader stabilizers, mainly if they are horn-shaped are more stable. Higher weight is also a good sign.
If you buy online, you cannot try it, so it is vital to read the customer reviews to know if they complain about rocking.
Tip: Wobbling might also happen because of the uneven ground. If that is the case, you can put a rubber gym mat under it. But, if you are a techie guy, you can fix it to the ground as well with bolts, so there will be no shaking at all.
A power tower is large equipment that requires workout space in every dimension.
Firstly, check if the ceiling is high enough to perform pull-ups or chin-ups. Keep in mind that you need extra space above the pull-up bar as well since your head is above the bar. I think, 20-30 inches is enough.
Also, you need space around the tower, for example, when you do knee raises or push-ups. I think, 5 feet is the minimum at the back and the front.
Most of the power towers are around 80 inches height which is suitable for an average height person. If you are tall, you can search for items with a high pull-up bar, but the maximum I saw was 85 inches. So, most of the people, unless they are very short, should bend their knees while using the pull-up station.
Well, I put this factor on the list, because there are products that are hard to assemble because of missing bolts, washers, or other harder. Some equipment comes with badly-designed parts.
Hence, it is crucial to check out the customer reviews for the delivery. If there are a lot of problems, it is better not to buy that power tower.
Tip: Tighten the bolts after the assembly. This way the tower will be more stable.
Price & Warranty
A long guarantee is a good sign that the product is durable. Look for the frame warranty since that is the most important. If it is around 5 years that is a good buy. For the upholstery, the warranty is usually about a year, but you can replace them.
I regularly check out the prices both online and offline, and the best deals are on Amazon. Almost always you get free shipping as well.
How it can help you to get fit?
- With the power tower, you can do wide and narrow chin-ups and pull-ups for working the back, biceps, and forearm muscles. You can also do knee or leg raise or their variations to work your core. You can train those pulling muscles of the upper body.
- The push-up station is great for doing various push-up exercises to work the chest muscles, but also train your triceps and shoulders.
- The dip station is suitable for doing dips that are efficient moves for triceps, shoulder, and even your chest. It can also be used for doing ab workout such as vertical knee raise.
- A workout station is extremely versatile exercise equipment to do bodyweight workouts at home. Did you know that bodyweight exercises burn more calories than the ones with weights? The reason is that they are compound moves, so many muscles work at the same time, and that needs more energy. On top of that, these exercises are safer as they are natural moves for the joints and muscles. You can find sample power tower workouts here.
- Although a workout tower provides so many ways to exercise, it does not need so much workout space. Hence, it is an excellent solution for those who have not so much place at home.
- Affordable strength training equipment. The basic models cost around $100 – 150. If you wanted to buy weight plates, dumbbells, a barbell, a bench, etc., you would have to pay far more.
A few example fitness gear power tower exercises.
Are there any disadvantages?
- One disadvantage is that you cannot do leg workouts with it. Although, you can do prisoner or single-leg squats or buy a pair of dumbbells that allow doing various leg exercises.
- Lighter models wobble a bit.
How to get rid of wobbling?
In case you place your power tower fitness station onto the platform that is not smooth or flat, you should use gym mats. They are useful for many reasons. They help to protect the floor and keep the power tower at its place while using it. But, in most cases, wobbling comes from the bad assembly. So, pay attention to the guidance.
Can I use a workout station for muscle-ups?
Well, I do not suggest you using a traditional tower for that purpose, at least it is fixed to the ground.
If you follow the guide above, I’m sure you will buy a power tower which is the most suitable for you and provides a good user experience. If you still have questions, feel free to ask below.
Last update on 2020-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API