Are you fed up with the common abdominal training? Then you should do TRX ab exercises. This is a simple, yet efficient fitness tool which has been developed by the Navy Seals. It lets us to perform various sorts of activities to strengthen and tone the whole body, but it is especially beneficial for core training. The concept of this equipment is simple: you need to use your own bodyweight as resistance.
I believe, bodyweight abdominal exercises are one of the greatest methods to stimulate and tone abdominal muscles. By doing suspension training, you can perform these bodyweight ab workouts even more efficiently.
What are the TRX benefits for abs
- It is suitable for all levels. No matter if you are a beginner or an advanced user.
- It is small and portable, so it is a suitable for home ab workouts.
- It can be used for many purposes. TRX suspension training is beneficial for weight loss, improving the general strength, rehabilitation from injuries etc.
- No matter what sorts of workout you do with a suspension trainer, the core muscles are always used to stabilize your body. This helps to strengthen the midsection and develop your core stability and posture.
- TRX exercises not just make you stronger but also support your weight loss. As you need to use several muscles at the same time, your body needs more oxygen, and this increases your breath and heart rate. This way, you do cardio as well which is crucial for belly fat burning.
Overall, TRX training is a genuinely dynamic activity. But, you are here to check some TRX ab exercises for beginners and advanced trainees. Below, you can find great workout routines for your abs.
Basic TRX Abs Exercises
- Put your feet in the TRX handles facing down as you start the movement.
- Here, you’re stacking your shoulders above your elbows, and your head is in line with your shoulders and knees.
- Your abs and glutes should be engaged, your shoulder blades separated.
- Hold this position for a minimum of 20 seconds, depending on your fitness level.
TRX Side plank
- Put your feet in the straps.
- Lie on your side in a plank position. Your weight will be on your elbows and forearms.
- You should line up your feet so that your heel is touching your back foot. Maintain this position for a certain period of time and repeat the process on the other side.
Plank Knee Tuck (TRX crunches)
- You put each foot into the foot cradle while the straps are at mid-calf length
- Put your hands directly underneath your shoulders in a plank position and lift your knees off the ground. Make sure your back is flat and keep your core tight.
- Bring both knees together toward your elbows simultaneously. Return to the starting position by extending your legs. One rep has been completed.
- Do 15 repetitions or more depending on your fitness level.
- Put your feet in each foot cradle with the straps at mid-calf length.
- Put your hands directly beneath your shoulders and raise your knees off the ground into the plank position. There should be no arches or dips in your torso, and your back should be flat. Keep a tight body position.
- Lift your hips as high as your mobility allows while imagining a string attached to your tailbone. Return to the plank position.
Straight Leg Abdominal Twists
- Get on your back and lie flat. Keep both stirrups in your hands.
- Raise each leg approximately 30 degrees above the ground. Extend your legs straight in front of you.
- Swing your legs from side to side to start the movement.
- Make sure the core is stable and doesn’t shift around. You can control the motion with your upper body.
TRX Spiderman Push-Ups
- Put the TRX in single-loop mode and adjust the length to your liking.
- Insert your right foot into the loop.
- Place your left leg next to your right leg in a push-up position.
- Make your left knee touch your left elbow during a push-up.
- Don’t sway your hips.
- Pull your leg back to the starting position and drive yourself out of the push-up.
This is an excellent exercise to work the entire body.
TRX Abs Workout Ideas
TRX core workout plan for six pack abs and v-cut
This is a powerful core strength workout which strengthen and tone ab muscles efficiently. It contains TRX lower abs exercises bands which are especially useful to build v-cut stomach.
TRX advanced exercises done in the video:
- Suspended crunch for lower and upper abs.
- Pike, which is an enhanced suspended crunch, is also useful for shoulder training.
- Pendulum for obliques training and for slim hips. However, it is great for the chest, arms and shoulders.
- Pendulum 2 similar to the previous on, but you need to pull your needs to your elbows.
- Standing body crunch which is a good alternative for doing exercises with ab slide.
- Standing oblique twist for toning obliques and lower abdominal muscles.
- Suspended oblique crunch.
- Suspended alternating crunch
- Suspended TRX plank
These abdominal exercises are super effective and great to challenge yourself. Do this routine and you are going to see great results. I have just started this routine with 6-7 exercises and I do 3 sets with 15-20 reps. Fantastic!
TRX Abs Circuit
This routine is not mainly for abs, but for chest, arms and shoulders. It includes the following activities: spiderman push-up, mountain climber, RX body saw to a crunch, side plank oblique dip, atomic push-ups. Pretty good routine for full body training.
Extreme ABS Workout
Within this video, you can find some more exercises and tips.
Flat Stomach Workout for Women
This video includes a few workouts which are particularly suitable for women. Several exercises for abs and full body training.
TRX Suspension Trainer Oblique Core Workout in 10 Minutes
Finally, from this video you can learn a few TRX oblique exercises. By shaping those muscles on the sides of your stomach you can turn your waist and hips slimmer.
Workout with TRX standing ab exercises
Moving in a standing position challenges the midsection in the same way as exercises on the floor. Let’s not crunch and flex our spines anymore. The TRX is an excellent tool that will help you work your abs and midsection in a safe way. Exercises include a rollout (or Superman) movement, hip drops, and torso rotations. My recommendation for performing these exercises in a circuit is to perform 30-40 seconds of each exercise followed by a minute of rest.
More TRX Workout Routines
Is TRX better than lifting weights?
Because TRX is more “functional;” it exercises groups of muscles instead of isolating individual ones, it might be more effective for preventing sports injuries than lifting weights on machines. Both younger and older adults can achieve similar results in muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and balance when undergoing TRX suspension training programs.
Can I lose belly fat with TRX?
You might want to consider TRX as a quick way to lose some belly fat. TRX Suspension Training is unlike almost any other training system on the market because it provides a full-body workout and increases metabolism while resulting in lean, toned muscles
Overall, the suspension trainer is an efficient equipment to build a strong core and with proper diet and some cardio, you can get a flat stomach with it. If you have not included any TRX ab exercises in your sessions yet, just do it, you will see how efficient they are.
- Dawes, Jay. Complete guide to TRX suspension training. Human Kinetics, 2017.
- Byrne, Jeannette M., et al. “Effect of using a suspension training system on muscle activation during the performance of a front plank exercise.” The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 28.11 (2014): 3049-3055.
- Cugliari, Giovanni, and Gennaro Boccia. “Core muscle activation in suspension training exercises.” Journal of human kinetics 56 (2017): 61.